Nothing beats camping

Nothing beats camping
What an amazing camping trip in Wyoming

Total Pageviews

Monday, April 15, 2013

Running Season is almost here and soo I find i need to discuss the Minimalist Running Craze!!!!

This time of year i am bombarded with MANY MANY questions regarding my opinion on minimalist running shoes vs the traditional running shoe ie., the big bulky soles.
First let me state, the best running shoe is the running shoe that helps you run efficiently and pain free.
I will retell my story with running first to help you understand I not only feel i have the education to teach about running, running shoes and biomechanics but i am also my own patient.
Years ago I opened my private practice, put on 50 pounds of fat and was stressed out.  In an attempt to lose weight and get healthy(something all doctors should do) i began doing half marathons.  I believe my second was the Moab half some years ago and at mile 10 i hit a wall.  My ankles, hips and back were killing me, i could not understand why, I always felt my form was great, but fortunately a photographer took a still photo of me when my form was at its worse.  He emailed me the photo and my first thought was, "well no wonder my body was killing me."  Sure  the 50 pounds of fat that made it worse but it was all biomechanics in other words, my form was horrible.
I decided to make a change, drove out to Boulder Colorado met with the folks from Newton Running and my life was changed.  After changing my diet, lifting weights, running and proper biomechanics I shed 50 pounds of blubber and feel better now than when i was in my 20's.
I will not say which shoe is best because i wear many different types, but I will say I love my Newtons, Hoka and Skoras to mention a few, and all three are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.  Once again the best running shoe is the running shoe that helps you run efficiently and pain free.
Many doctors say, "minimalist running shoes are bad for your feet" yet that same doctor never wore a pair of those shoes nor  is she or he a runner.  I will say, since my transition to minimalist shoes, i now run pain free, and more efficiently.  I will also point out, there is nothing wrong with wearing minimalist shoes if there is no underlying podiatric issues noted.  ie., excessive pronation or supination or limb length difference.
If you decide to transition from your bulky shoes to a minimalist, start out slowly and talk to a professional first, especially one who is a runner and can apply actual clinical experience.
feel free to email me via this blog and i would love to answer your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment